Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The "Fake" News

I am so fed up with the fake news. No. I mean the real fake news. You know, on Comedy Central. All the other comedians on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News aside, I am so tired of getting information filtered with sarcasm and irony. I find myself filling in the answers when they skip the meat of a story. Sort of like I try to jump in with the answers when I watch Jeopardy!

On the recent violence in Lebanon, Jon Stewart laments about the outbreak of violence in the Middle East... as if the Isrealis and Palestinians were not in constant conflict. "What about the assassinations, kidnappings and missiles", I yell! I can't help it, I just like to hear the whole story, SOMEWHERE.

Can we blame the media for not covering every retaliatory skud missile launched by Hamas or state sponsored assassination of Palestinian officials by the Israeli government? Just last week Israel kidnapped over 30 members of the Palestinian government. Would that it were truly newsworthy and would headline on 'AC360". Ah, the compass just doesn't swing that way... even if its host Anderson Cooper does.

Most fake news is hit or miss. Mostly miss. One notable exception is Stephen Colbert. I have great respect and appreciation for his work. He has a way of crystalizing issues that is enviable and marks a sharp intelligence that is missing from most analysis of the news. I'm still in awe of his performance at the 2006 White House Correspondents Association dinner.

No comments: